Grids and Patterns Galore!

Hello Beautiful People,

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdCle86Ow3q/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This week's post is about modularity, grid, and pattern in my work! This was a fascinating journey to explore these fields from an artist's front. It was a little hard for me since I had to figure out how I was going to incorporate them into my stories. Usually, I would not focus on things like patterns in my work since I focus on them being visuals for my stories. While I do take care of the artist angle of my photos, I did not pay attention to specifics like the repetition of patterns or grids. However, this week it made me focus on it and I realized how it affected my work.

My room's view of the side of Kohler 

I dabbled with grid for one photo, which is the one depicted above. This one was difficult for me since I had no idea what I was going to do. I could not think of a way that I could use grid and have it be a part of my story. That was until I remembered what Lupton and Phillips said about using grid. In their book "Graphic Design The New Basics", they said, "Try building irregular and asymmetric compositions against neutral, ready-made backdrop of a grid" (176). I did this with the bricks of the building stacked up like an asymmetrical grid, then I created an interruption with the side of the window. Also, the screen over the bricks creates confusion so the viewer will have to take their time to look. The bricks would capture the eye then be interrupted by the window and screen.

Side view of my room's heater

Close up of my fan

Original fan photo

With the two photos above, I played around with pattern quite a bit. I found this field to be the most interesting and perhaps the most effective. I believe that the patterns that I found and created catch the viewer's attention in different ways while giving them meaning as they read the story. As Lupton and Phillips said about pattern, it is about how it is created. They claim that "by composing a single element in different schemes, the designer can create endless variations, building complexity around a logical core," (185). In the first photo with the heater, I saw the pattern with the slots to be eye-catching. I took it from an angle where it would have a movement like a viewer would follow the heater down until it hits the wall. In the second photo with my fan, I liked the direct approach with its pattern. I felt that cropping everything around the fan would give a harsh effect. Since it is so direct, it would catch the viewer off guard with my other photos having some build-up. 

This week got me out of my comfort zone and I was able to create a story around the photos. Usually, I create the photos around my story but this time I did the opposite. It was a nice change and I plan on switching up my process every now and then. As always, this week was a lovely learning experience!

I hope you enjoyed this week's post and I will see y'all next time!

With lots of love,

Libby

Comments

  1. These are cool discovery, and they are very close to where we are living. You remind me many thing else with the grids and patterns such as the texture of cloth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Framing Our World Through Different Lenses

A View into the Looking Glass Self