The Flow of the River

 Hello Beautiful People,

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcMr9YuOjvg/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet 


This week, my focus was on creating rhythm, scale, and texture within my art piece. I did my best to take some photos of these specific strategies and write a small story to create the world. My main focuses were on symmetry, scale, and texture as I believe they were the easiest to describe. The way I used symmetry and scale was in the form of a line. Even though the line is easy to create, it holds meaning and creates many visual illusions. 

Symmetry and scale using the line of the bridge

In this photo, I used the symmetry of the railings to show the movement of the path. The railings give the image that the bridge is a small space for walking. By using scale, the light is small compared to the wooden planks near the foreground. The railings start out big near the front but they get smaller as they go into the background. This creates the movement of going forward which I reference in my story. As Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips mention in their book "Graphic Design The New Basics", they go on to explain "Contrasts in scale can imply motion and depth as well as express differences in importance" (43). 

Now texture was the one I had the most fun with. I have always had fun with the texture aspect of it all since it is descriptive. Once again, Lupton and Phillips describe the use of texture as "the designer uses texture to establish a mood, reinforce a point of view, or convey a sense of physical presence" (53).


The rocks as a rough slope and the rush of water

The way that I used texture was to convey all three of what Lupton and Phillips said above. I wanted the mood to be seen as dark and cool, yet calming and inviting. I described the water as fast and gently lapping at the sides of the bank. Then, I described the ground around the water as rough, dry, and dead to show the beauty and reality of the story. My descriptions of texture made the world I created in the story feel more real.

Overall, I really liked how this project turned out and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. The world that I am creating is coming together. I hope you are ready for what is about to come!

With lots of love,

Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A View into the Looking Glass Self

Framing Our World Through Different Lenses

Grids and Patterns Galore!