Hellooooo World! (My Introduction)

 Hello Beautiful People,


Allow me to introduce myself! My name is Libby and I am a Freshman at Lawrence University. This is my first time using any blogging site. I know, shocker! I am pretty new to this so my first blog will be my roughest. However, I do believe that I will get the hang of it and improve with the more blogs I post. 

Anyway, you might be asking me: Why am I here on Blogger and creating blogs? What is my intention? What is the point of me doing all of this? Well, my reasons are pretty simple. First, I am in a class called Art Phone Smart Phone that deals with art and social media, both things that I enjoy quite a bit. I always had a passion for art ever since I was little. I would draw pictures, I would paint, I would write little stories, I would act for fun, I would take photographs of anything that interested me, you know, things like that. Since I am majoring in Psychology and minoring in Studio Art, my passions and way of life are grounded in these fields. They are a part of who I am as an individual. 

My Stay Puft Marshmallow Man plushie as a symbol of my humorous personality

Second, I want to paint the world from a new angle, sort of speak. Throughout my adolescence, I found storytelling to be one of the most insightful ways to understand the world. Photography is like a movie without actual sound. As Nathan Jurgenson talks about in his book "The Social Photo on Photography and Social Media", he claims that "Photography arrived as a new technology like a kind of magic, allowing you to document the world in new ways and share these frozen bits of lived experience with people who weren't present for them". As Jurgenson said, you can hear the sound by looking at the picture and imagining the scene as if you were there in that moment, and that is what I intend to be creating for this term.

So, my blogs will consist of photographs ranging from simple compositions to more detailed ones while I write a short yet detailed story about them. I know that writing is an art and it is not something I will be majoring in during my time at Lawrence, however, I love expressing my creative processes in different ways. I get to create art in a new way and it follows the path that I want to say as an artist: which is to look at the world where it opens the mind. Some of my posts may be fun writings that explain the time that the picture was taken, and some may have a deeper meaning hidden within. Whatever I decide to post, it is a way that I can document the world around me. 

Late Night Stroll on Hurvis Crossing at Lawrence University

A Storm Looming Over Lawrence

Now, I would love to give y'all a little taste of what I will be doing. Although, I want to keep it a surprise! I hope this will be an interesting and thoughtful experience for you as it will be for me. I am looking forward to being on this journey with you!

With lots of love,

Libby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A View into the Looking Glass Self

Framing Our World Through Different Lenses

Grids and Patterns Galore!